Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Marquel By Emily Skinner

MarquelMarquel by Emily Skinner
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Synopsis from Goodreads:
Marquel is a retro early 90's novel that travels from Florida to the glitz of Hollywood and back again. A high-velocity story of glamour and celebrity in the tradition of Jackie Collins and Harold Robbins.

My Thoughts: 
Where to start! Its going to be so hard to review this book without giving away spoilers!

Marquel is Hollywood superstar. But she is fragile and damaged from events in her past that she cannot remember. Mark Collins is a tabloid reporter, looking for his big break, and determined to get it. He knows Marquel is hiding a story that could make his career and nothing is going to stop him from uncovering it and making it public. As Marquel begins to spiral even further into herself, her agent Ken fears he will loose his biggest star and sends her to a therapist. There Marquel begins to find happiness in the arms of her doctor. But the secrets Marquel has been keeping, even from herself are so shocking that her whole way of life, and the lives of those around her is about to change dramatically.

Marquel had me hooked from the very first page. Its been many years since ive read a book in this style (think Jackie Collins), and I had forgotten how much i enjoy them. The story changes perspective from character to character every few pages, which I loved, because it meant the story never felt slow. It was a little confusing early on, as there really is quite a large cast of characters to keep track of, but once you know who's who, it isn't a problem. My only real complaint with the book lies in this area. There are so many characters introduced early on that i didn't really feel were necessary. They might have been mentioned once or twice later on in the book, but overall, they didn't add anything to the story, and i think to save confusion, they probably could have been left out completely.

The main story of course, is the mystery surrounding Marquel's past. It had me guessing the whole time. I changed my mind multiple times, trying to figure out what had happened to her, and when i did finally find out i was stunned. I truly hadn't seen that coming! It was so cleverly done!And that ending! I really had no idea what to feel! I was both happy and sad and then happy again.

Overall, i really enjoyed this book and look forward to reading more of Emily's work. I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys a fast moving story, or who enjoys the hollywood romance/mystery genres.

Thankyou to Emily for providing me a copy of this book to review. This in no way affects my opinion of the book.

Find Marquel  Here on Amazon ~ Here on The Book Depository ~ Here on Goodreads
Find Emily Skinner Here on Twitter ~ Here on her Blog

And if you missed it earlier, be sure to check out this post that features the book trailer. Its seriously a mini movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment