Sunday, September 16, 2012

Obsidian by Jennifer L Armentrout

Obsidian (Lux, #1)Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Synopsis from Goodreads :
Starting over sucks. When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes.

Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth. Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all.

But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens. The hot alien living next door marks me. You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. If I don't kill him first, that is

My Review:

Twilight with Aliens anyone?

I hope that doesnt turn anyone off reading Obsidian, because i seriously loved this book,but i couldnt help but compare this book to Twilight. New girl moves to a little town where she is immediately drawn to the local hotties. Hot boy tries to push her away. Girl finds out the hotties have a secret. Paranormal hijinks ensues. Girl runs off to save everyone, by sacrificing herself, and has to be rescued by hottie. Sound at all familiar??

BUT, there are sooooooo many reasons why this book is NOT like twilight.

1. The characters - Katy is strong, independent and doesnt take anyone's crap. She is completely likable. She doesn't whine through the whole book.She doesn't base her whole life around a boy who apparently hates her. As much as he dishes out, she gives it right back.

-Daemon is rude, arrogant and pretty much just a general douche bag. He is always quick with a smart ass comment. But even tho he's a jerk, he is so damn likable, and not just cos he's the stereotypical bad boy. Through all the crap he slings at Katy, you always know that he has his reasons for being that way, and that it comes from a good place.

2. THERE IS NO INSTALOVE! can i get a hallelujah? Katy recognises the difference between lust and attraction and actual love. Just part of the reason that makes her such a likable protagonist.

3. The sexual tension. Holy hotness Batman, Jennifer L Armentrout knows how to write some (mostly YA appropriate)heat.

4. The way Katy and Daemon's relationship progresses. Its a gradual process from page 1, right to the very end. It doesnt start with them hating each other, and then end with them in love by halfway. Their relationship progresses throughout the whole book as they get to know and trust each other, with plenty of setbacks along the way. It made it hard to put this book down. I just wanted to keep reading to see if they would ever be able to overcome everything and get together.

5. Aliens instead of Vampires/werewolves/fairies/angels. Maybe its just me, but I've never come across aliens in YA paranormal fiction. I'm sure there actually are plenty of other Aliens throughout recent YA fiction, but it doesn't seem to be like the complete over saturation of the other paranormal creatures mentioned above. Learning about the Lux's capabilities and talents was different and interesting for me.

6. Humour! This book had me laughing out loud at points and highly amused the rest of the time.

So yes, the plotline was a little predictable for me. But i didnt care.All the things i liked about the book overshadowed this. I loved every minute of this book, and the minute i finished i picked up the sequel Onyx. Highly recommend to anyone that enjoys YA, especially if you're a twilight fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment